Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Adapted from Gourmet, September 1998
- 2 vanilla beans
- 3 cups heavy cream (I used fat free half and half)
- 1 cup whole milk (I used non fat)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- With a knife halve vanilla beans lengthwise. Scrape seeds into a large heavy saucepan and stir in pods, cream, milk, and sugar. Bring mixture just to a boil, stirring occasionally, and remove pan from heat. (I let it steep for about 30 minutes here, lid on!)
- In a large bowl lightly beat eggs. Add hot cream mixture to eggs in a slow stream, whisking, and pour into pan. Cook custard over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until a thermometer registers 170°F. (Do not let boil.)
- Pour custard through a sieve into a clean bowl and cool. **My bowl sat in a larger bowl filled with ice water. This stops the custard base from cooking.
- Chill custard until cold, up to 1 day.
- Freeze custard in an ice-cream maker, in 2 batches if necessary. Transfer ice cream to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden. Ice cream may be made 1 week ahead.