Apple-Molasses Spice Cake
- 1/2cup vegetable oil, plus more for the pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for the pan
- 1 1/2teaspoons baking soda
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 Granny Smith apples—peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- confectioners’ sugar, for serving
- Heat oven to 350° F. Oil a 9-inch round cake pan, line the bottom with a parchment circle, oil again, and dust with flour, tapping out the excess.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, molasses, brown sugar, egg, ginger, and ½ cup boiling water. Add to the flour mixture and whisk until just combined (do not overmix). Fold in the apples.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool in the pan for 30 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely. Before serving, dust with the confectioners’ sugar.
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup hot brewed espresso or very strong coffee
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1/2 pound white Pullman bread—crust removed, bread cut into 1-inch cubes (6 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sliced almonds (4 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the almonds on a rimmed baking sheet and toast for about 8 minutes, until golden and fragrant. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the chocolate, stirring frequently, until smooth, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, mix the espresso with the sugar until dissolved. Whisk in the rum. Stir this mixture into the melted chocolate and fold in the bread cubes; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, whip the cream until soft peaks form.
- Spoon half of the soaked bread cubes and any excess chocolate into 6 parfait glasses. Top with half of the whipped cream and half of the almonds. Repeat with the remaining bread and chocolate, whipped cream and almonds. Serve at once.