Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, November 14, 2016

Healthier Holiday

Happy Monday all! Last week I decided to test my one year old's palette. He loves to eat my blueberry muffins and zucchini bread so I wanted to up my game with something a little more festive (one of my mom's favorite ways to describe a holiday food). Scouring my Ellie Krieger books I happened upon a sweet bread that would work well for me, as it included pumpkin (because, of course), cranberries, and whole wheat flour. Well the baby enjoys the cake, it's not exactly his favorite. Maybe it's the bad mom in me, but it's funny to watch him eat a cranberry and spit it out. At any rate, I really like it.

Pumpkin Bread with Cranberries
Ellie Krieger

Ingredients
  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or whole-wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
  • 2/3 cup honey
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 large egg white
  • 1 cup fresh whole cranberries
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg, allspice, and salt. In another large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, honey, oil, eggs, and egg white until well combined. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mixing just enough to combine evenly. Gently stir in the cranberries.
  3. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the top is browned and a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then transfer the bread to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.

Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment