The Washington Post, December 7, 2011
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- Rounded 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 slightly rounded tablespoons sour cream (do not use low-fat or nonfat)
- 12 ounces plain M&M candies (about 2 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Use nonstick cooking oil spray to grease a 9-by-13-inch metal baking pan, then line the bottom of it with enough parchment paper so that some of it sticks up/out beyond the two short sides of the pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Combine the butter and shortening in the bowl of a stand mixer or hand-held electric mixer; beat on low speed until smooth. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add both sugars; beat on low, then on medium speed for about 2 minutes, until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs one a time, beating to incorporate after each addition. Stop to scrape down the bowl. Add the vanilla extract and sour cream; beat on low speed to incorporate.
- Gradually add the sifted ingredients, beating (on low) to form a soft dough. Stir in the M&Ms. Transfer the dough to the pan, patting it in evenly and smoothing the surface. Bake for 25 minutes; the cookie slab should be puffed and slightly golden.
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until just set at the center. Cool completely in the pan. Use a round-edged knife to loosen the edges of the cookie slab, then use the parchment paper to lift and transfer the cookie slab to a cutting board before cutting it into 24 bars.
Adapted from Gourmet, October 2003
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups M&Ms (16 ounces)
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment or wax paper.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
- Beat together butter and sugars in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Lightly beat 1 egg with a fork in a small bowl and add 1 3/4 tablespoons of it plus 2 remaining whole eggs to butter mixture, beating with mixer until creamy, about 1 minute. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low and mix in flour mixture until just blended, then stir in chips.
- Scoop 1/4 cup batter for each cookie, arranging mounds 3 inches apart, on 2 baking sheets. Flatten mounds into 3-inch rounds using moistened palm of your hand. Form remaining cookies on additional sheets of parchment.
- Bake, 1 sheet at a time, until golden, 13 to 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to a rack to cool and continue making cookies in same manner using cooled baking sheets.