Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day!

Happy Valentine's Day my lovely readers! I wanted to post on the day-of, because you can always make a lovely last minute dessert, like cupcakes or cookies, sprinkle it with pink sugar crystals and voila! A beautiful treat for your loved ones. I made Coffee Cinnamon Bonets for my hubby, which I will show you another time. Today I'm taking you on a journey through a crazy week, a forgotten ingredient, and a happy ending.

I made delicious red velvet cupcakes for my day job which, if you know me, you'll know I'm not a big fan of (the cupcakes, not the job). Are they chocolate? Are they vanilla? Red velvet has always seemed to me like cake with an identity crisis. Anyway, I decided that I would try a new recipe this year, straight from the south, and they turned out AWESOME, even to a non-believer like myself. Last night I wanted to make the frosting so I could get them all set for today, but upon creaming my butter and cream cheese I realized a HORRIBLE fact - I was OUT of confectioners' sugar! Oh sure, I had 2 cups, but I needed 5!!! In my haste to make it through this crazy busy week, I FORGOT to buy the sugar! What's a girl to do??? So instead, I experimented. I added some of my favorite sugar (light brown) to the confectioners' and the end result was a sweet, scrumptious topping for my delicious little cupcakes. So today I bring you my experimental recipe and remind  you that no one is perfect. ...AND, I want to remind you that Valentine's day is just a fun excuse to draw hearts, make a special dinner, and of course, bake. Now who wouldn't love that?

Happy Valentine's Day friends!

Cream Cheese Frosting with a Twist
Don't forget to sprinkle the pink sugar on top!
Makes about 4 cups

Ingredients

  • 10 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1 stick (4 ounces) plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar (powdered, 10x, whatever you know it as)
  • 2-3 cups light brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Directions
  1. Place the cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until completely blended.
  2. Sift the confectioners' sugar onto the mixture in several additions, as well as the brown sugar, and beat thoroughly in between each addition. Scrape the bowl each time to fully incorporate sugar!
  3. Add the vanilla and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy but still holds its shape, 3-5 minutes. Use immediately.
Happy baking!



No comments:

Post a Comment