Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Non-Traditional Rice and Beans!

Happy Tuesday! As I mentioned yesterday, I'm going to start adding some savory recipes to my blog because I love to cook and I do it all the time! Tonight's recipe was a very delicious one I've made before. For those of you who don't know, I'm a pesco-vegetarian - not something I like to advertise because I keep my food preferences to myself! That being said, my hubby is a meat-eater, so I've had to learn to cook meat and appreciate the quality of a good meat-based meal! This particular recipe scores HUGE with him, even though the protein is beans instead of meat (not one of his fav proteins, either!). It's quick and easy, especially if you use Trader Joe's brown minute rice. Lots of health benefits too! Enjoy!

Brown Rice and Beans with Ginger Chile Salsa
Mary-Frances Heck for Bon Appetit

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, divide
  • 1 medium onion, chopped, divided
  • 1 cup brown rice
  • Kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, divided
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
  • 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth or water
  • 2 red jalapeƱos or Fresno or Holland chiles, stemmed, halved, seeded
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 tablespoon chopped peeled ginger
  • 1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest
  • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
  • 1 avocado, halved, pitted, chopped
  • 1/4 cup crumbled Cotija cheese or feta (I use fat free feta from Trader Joe's)
  • Lime wedges (for serving)
Directions
  1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/4 of onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add rice and stir to coat. Add 2 cups water and season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until rice is just tender, 40-50 minutes.
  2. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork. Fold in 1/4 cup cilantro; season with salt and pepper.
  3. While rice is cooking, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/3 of remaining onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
  4. Add coriander and cumin; stir 1 minute. Add beans and broth; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, occasionally mashing beans, until thickened, 8-10 minutes.
  5. Pulse chiles, garlic, ginger, lime zest, lime juice, and remaining onion in a blender until a chunky sauce forms. Season salsa with salt.
  6. Serve rice with beans; top with salsa, avocado, cheese, 1/4 cup cilantro, and lime wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment