Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, May 27, 2013

Quick Tip for Tricky Cupcake Frosting!

Happy Memorial Day! I'm taking a little time today to remember the fallen men and women who've fought for our country, and those still out there working hard to keep us safe!

Mini Coconut Cupcakes
Meanwhile, it is GORGEOUS here in the Northeast...though not quite beach weather! I'm still going to spend plenty of time outside with my hunny and my puppy! Thus today I've just got a quick tip for the tricky frostings that just don't pipe beautifully.

Yesterday I made coconut cupcakes, based on a recipe from Hominy Grill in Charleston (I was thinking of you, Becky!) and was stuck in a pickle. These particular cupcakes are both filled AND frosted with coconut flakes mixed in. Though absolutely delicious, it makes it rather difficult to pipe frosting onto the cake when it's filled with thick flakes. So my tip to keep your frosting pretty (and why wouldn't you want to, considering how hard you worked on the cakes!) is to pipe some frosting in the center of your cupcake. It will sit there like a mound. THEN, roll it in something that matches the cake filling - in my case I toasted some coconut flakes - so it adds an extra exciting flavor and gives your cupcakes a beautiful finish to hide the funky frosting job. Make sense? Check out my pic and try it at home!

Lizzy Bee's Blog Update!!!
Be sure to keep an eye out on my blog Tuesdays/Thursdays for some exciting savory dishes! I love to cook unique dinners and always take pictures. I'd love to share my adventures with you! As always, please be sure to leave feedback if you like my stuff or are looking to see something else! And thank you to all of my wonderful readers, including those in faraway countries, from the UK to Russia to Slovenia, you all make me so happy and I love knowing you're out there! Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment