|Brownies cooling on the rack.|
Next to a chocolate lava cake...
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup mascarpone (8 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
In a bowl, beat the cream with the vanilla seeds, brown sugar and lemon zest until soft peaks form. Add the mascarpone and lemon juice and beat until blended.
On a deep, dark chocolate cake
Abigail Johnson Dodge, Bon Appetit
- Sift cocoa powder into large bowl; add espresso powder. Bring 1 cup cream to boil in small saucepan. Slowly pour cream over cocoa mixture, whisking until cocoa is completely dissolved, about 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup cream and sugar; stir until sugar dissolves. Chill until cold, at least 2 hours. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; keep chilled.
Ginger Mascarpone Frosting
- 12 ounces Italian mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 Tbsp. heavy cream
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup minced crystallized ginger (not in syrup), plus more for garnish
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat mascarpone, cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, cream, and vanilla about 1 minute, until light and fluffy. Add crystallized ginger and salt and beat 30 seconds more.