Bon Appetit, Oct 1999
Makes single crust
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (**I sub in 1 cup of whole wheat flour**)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chilled solid vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 1/2 tablespoons (about) ice water
- Blend first 5 ingredients in processor until herbs are very finely chopped. Add butter and shortening. Blend until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Transfer mixture to large bowl. Using fork, mix enough ice water into flour mixture to form moist clumps.
- Gather dough into ball; flatten into rectangle. Cover and chill 30 minutes. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Keep chilled. Let dough soften slightly before rolling out.)