Low Fat Vanilla Ice Cream
Adapted from Dorie Greenspan's recipe
- 2 cups non fat milk
- 2 cups fat free half and half
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 T vanilla extract
- Fill a large bowl with ice water (i.e. make an ice water bath) and have a strainer ready.
- Combine milks in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- In a medium-sized bowl that will fit in the ice bowl, whisk the egg yolks with sugar.
- Pour about 1/3 of boiling milk mixture into egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Once mixed well, pour mixture back into pot with the rest of the boiling milk. Stir with a wooden spoon until the liquid coats the back of the spoon.
- Pour mixture through strainer into clean egg bowl (make sure you get all of the raw yolk out of your bowl if you're reusing it!) sitting in ice bath. Stir in vanilla.
- Let cool and put in refrigerator to cool completely.
- Follow your ice cream maker's instructions to turn your base into a delicious delight! When it's about 2/3 finished, sprinkle in chocolate chips. I like to mix milk and dark; chips and chunks.