Giada De Laurentiis
- 1 (12-ounce) bag unsweetened frozen mixed berries, thawed
- 1 (12-ounce) can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 1 cup vanilla simple syrup, recipe follows
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 vanilla bean, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed, pod reserved
- In a blender, combine the berries, lemonade concentrate and syrup. Blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into a large pitcher. Add the water and stir, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Pour the lemonade into ice-filled glasses and serve.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat combine the sugar, water, vanilla bean seeds, and vanilla pod. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the syrup to cool, about 20 minutes. Strain before using.
The blended mixture can be strained through a fine mesh sieve to remove the berry seeds, if preferred.
Different from the usual watermelon bowl...
Watermelon-Ginger Aqua Fresca
Molly Stevens, Bon Appetit, August 2007
- 10 cups 1-inch pieces peeled watermelon (from about 8-pound watermelon), seeded, divided
- 3 cups cold water, divided
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup (or more) sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger juice* (from one 3-ounce piece of ginger)
- Ice cubes
- Lime wedges
- Place 2 1/2 cups watermelon and 3/4 cup cold water in blender. Puree until smooth. Pour agua fresca into large pitcher. Repeat 3 more times with remaining watermelon and cold water. Add lime juice, 1/4 cup sugar, and ginger juice to pitcher and stir to blend. Add more sugar by tablespoonfuls, if desired. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 3 hours. DO AHEAD Can be made 8 hours ahead. Keep chilled. Stir before serving.
- Fill glasses with ice cubes; pour agua fresca over. Garnish each glass with lime wedge and serve.
Add a splash of rum...
Lemon Balm Honeysuckle
Cabell Tomlinson, Frankies 570 Spuntino
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups lemon vodka or white rum
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup (loosely packed) fresh lemon balm leaves or mint leaves
- 8 lemon slices
- Stir honey and 6 tablespoons hot water in a large pitcher until honey is dissolved. Stir in vodka and lemon juice. Add 2 cups ice cubes. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
- Squeeze lemon balm several times to lightly bruise leaves; add to pitcher. Fill Old Fashioned glasses with ice cubes. Divide cocktail among glasses. Garnish with lemon slices and serve.