|Brownies and rainbows|
|While we wait for the more "professional" pics...here's mine|
Happy Monday all! I'm back from a fun long weekend down south for my sister's baby shower! This was a very special event for me as I planned everything - from theme to drinks to desserts. I wanted to share a few pictures with my fellow foodies. Desserts included my world famous brownies (mini-sized of course), mini rainbow cookies, mini lemon tartlets, and mini white cupcakes with strawberry buttercream. It's a fabulous buttercream recipe, using the typical meringue buttercream base, but adding strawberry preserves. I'm putting the recipe here for you. Be sure to mix it in your Cuisinart - don't skip that step! It really smooths it out and adds great texture.
|White cupcakes with strawberry buttercream|
Martha Stewart Show, January 2007
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) strawberry jam, pureed in a food processor
- In the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer set over a saucepan of simmering water, combine egg whites and sugar. Cook, whisking constantly, until sugar has dissolved and mixture is warm to the touch (about 160 degrees).
- Attach the bowl to the mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat the egg-white mixture on high speed until it holds stiff (but not dry) peaks. Continue beating until the mixture is fluffy and cooled, about 6 minutes.
- Switch to the paddle attachment. With mixer on medium-low speed, add butter several tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition. (If frosting appears to separate after all the butter has been added, beat on medium-high speed until smooth again, 3 to 5 minutes more.) Beat in vanilla. Beat on lowest speed to eliminate any air bubbles, about 2 minutes. Stir in strawberry jam with a rubber spatula until frosting is smooth.