Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

I Break for French Toast.

Hello all! What a lovely Tuesday we're having...of course it comes after the pools close and summer ends, but let's take what we can get, shall we? Last night my husband and I were in quite the pickle: I made delicious sweet vanilla cinnamon challah for the upcoming holiday, and alas I made 2 loaves. Most recipes give you at least 2, if not 3 loaves...which is fabulous because smart people will freeze one for later. We don't do that. The kitchen smelled too good to put a loaf away! So taking the uglier of the 2 (the one that was less round, as roundness is a key element to our Wednesday feast) I made one of my faaaaaavorite comfort foods. It was FRENCH TOAST MONDAY! Woot woot. I love French toast; I'm a sucker for it, especially on challah. I like to estimate my ingredients based on how many slices of bread I'm using, but below I'm posting the recipe for my lighter version of French toast (which is a crowd pleaser with the kiddos as well!). Enjoy!

Lizzy Bee's Fabulous-Mouth-Watering-Amazing-Can't Eat Just One French Toast 

Ingredients


  • 1/2 - 1 cup skim milk
  • 3-4 egg whites
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 heaping tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 loaf of freshly made challah, or store bought
  • Unsalted butter for the pan
Directions
  1. Mix all the ingredients with a whisk or a fork.
  2. Pour mixture into a plate with a lip OR a big plastic container. 
  3. Cut bread into thick slices - 1/2 inch or larger would do.
  4. Place bread into container on both sides so it's completely wet.
  5. Heat a skillet with a little butter over medium high heat. I also spray the pan with cooking spray because I've heard it keeps the toast from burning as quickly. Once the pan is hot, start adding bread. Don't crowd them! 2-3 minutes on each side will do...don't let them burn!
  6. Enjoy with syrup, confectioners' sugar, and (in my case quite often) peanut butter (let's say it adds the protein to the meal...that sounds better than it just tastes reaaaaaally good!).

No comments:

Post a Comment