Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Potato-Free Gnocchi, Fast and Easy

Hello everyone! I made a really delicious and easy mascarpone and lemon gnocchi for dinner the other night, and there was no need for mashing potatoes! I made a few adaptations (see my comments below the recipe), but if you follow those and along with the recipe, you'll end up with elegant results. Enjoy!

Mascarpone and Lemon Gnocchi
Giada De Laurentiis

Ingredients
Gnocchi:
  • 1 cup mascarpone, at room temperature (8 ounces)
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature
  • 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 large lemons, zested
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan (4 ounces)
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for forming the gnocchi
Sauce:
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, for serving

Directions

  1. For the gnocchi: In a large bowl, combine the mascarpone, egg, egg yolk, nutmeg, lemon zest, Parmesan, and salt. Using a hand mixer, beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Gradually beat in 3/4 cup flour until the mixture forms a soft dough.
  2. Sprinkle a pie pan or rimmed baking sheet with flour. Using 2 small spoons, drop 1 teaspoon-sized pieces of dough into the pie pan. Shake the pan gently to cover the dough with flour. Gently roll the pieces of dough into oval shapes.
  3. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a simmer. In batches, carefully add the gnocchi. The gnocchi should sink and then float to the top. As soon as the gnocchi begin to float, cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Drain and place in a large serving bowl.
  4. For the sauce: In a small saucepan, warm the oil and salt over medium-high heat for 1 1/2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the basil. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
  5. Add the sauce and cheese to the gnocchi and gently toss until coated.
Lizzy Bee's Notes: 

  1. I used one lemon instead of 2. 
  2. After I formed the dough, I divided it into four. I rolled each piece into a 1 inch log, and cut each log into 1 inch pieces (or so...just make them uniform and you're fine). I rolled each piece into an oval, placed it on a cookie sheet and covered it with a damp paper towel so it wouldn't dry out. I did this with all four pieces of dough until all the dough was rolled and oval'ed. I started boiling the water during this time as well. 
  3. I cut the sauce in half - you know me, I don't eat heavy sauces. Half was more than enough to cover every piece!
  4. I only cooked my gnocchi for 2-3 min, making sure to do it in small batches so to keep from crowding the pot. Once they float to the top of your pot, they're about done! No need to overcook these babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment